How Long Can a Steel Garage Kit Last?
Think of it as a purchase that Will realistically last a Lifetime! Among the numerous structural advantages prefab steel garages hold over wood is exponentially extended durability and lifespan. But what durations precisely can owners expect their American Barn steel buildings to last if given proper occasional upkeep? Reasonably anticipate 60-100 total years of reliable use & vehicle storage, workshop utility and more from a standard well-maintained steel barn structure.
Core Construction Timelessness
At the foundation of steel garages’ impressive longevity rests the innate ultra-density of American-grade steel itself. Hot-dipped zinc galvanization renders the structural framework all but impervious to rust and corrosion issues even facing a century of harsh UV rays, freeze/thaw fluctuations and battering from hail or fallen branches. Robust gauges and welding integrity give frames, roof beams and corrugated sheathing incredible strength resisting buckling or warp deformation as well. Short of catastrophic weather events or direct crashes compromising framework continuity, quality steel construction remains timeless.
Maximizing Long-Term Viability for Generations
While premium-grade steel holds up independently overtime, owners aid durability further through minor maintenance steps every decade or two. Resealing any noticeable fastener holes or sheathing joints vulnerable to water incursion preserves internal conditions best. Denting damage from intense storms may bend metal visually yet seldom impacts structural soundness, but addressing dings with filler and fresh paint avoids further surface issues. Verify roof drainage paths stay clear of debris buildup too.
Here are some tips to help extend the lifespan of a metal garage:
1. Reseal joints and fastener holes – Go over all joints, seams, and screw/bolt holes every few years with additional caulk or spray foam to prevent water intrusion or rust.
2. Keep roof and gutters clear – Regularly remove debris from the roof and gutters to prevent storm water damage or excess weight strain.
3. Touch up paint/coatings – Spot treat any scratches, flaking finishes, or minor rust with matching enamel paint or galvanization coatings to protect the underlying steel.
4. Inspect concrete slab for cracks – Check the garage concrete foundation for cracks annually and reseal them to prevent undermining the structure.
5. Lubricate rollers and hinges – Keep metal garage doors operating smoothly by lubricating hinges and rollers as part of periodic preventative maintenance.
6. Detail clean exterior annually – Pressure wash the garage exterior at least annually to remove grime buildup and keep finishes intact.
7. Check for pest nests – Remove any rodent or insect nests found in the garage framing right away before extensive damage occurs.
8. Ensure proper ventilation – Install ridge vents, roof turbines and wall louvers if needed to prevent moisture buildup inside.
Proactive maintenance steps each year maintain steel garage integrity helping easily realize 50-100 year lifespans.
American Barn offers reliable support resources to reference for appropriate long-term garage care guidance as situations demand decades of valued use as well. Proactive upkeep measures let pristine steel shelters easily maintain 60-80 years of usable lifespans. Though even absent tending, bare steel alone still exceeds conventional material viability by over 500%! Lean on steel garage investments to house valuables securely for family generations.